Columbines

June 7, 2009 at 3:50 pm 5 comments

columbine

I’m amazed at columbines – this flower has become a huge favourite of mine. There are countless varieties of columbines, and for me, they are among the prettiest of all flowers. They come up early in the spring and bloom for most of the summer, and then create abundant seeds that are easy to harvest and easy to grow.

I have several clumps growing in both shade gardens and in the sun, and they’re all thriving. I’ve had good success with perennial plants purchased at the garden centre and I’ve also grown a few plants by sowing seeds directly into the garden (seeds will create flowering plants the next year if you plant them in the spring). I’ve read that columbines last only a couple of years, so it’s a good strategy to continually scatter new seeds around existing plants to ensure a steady supply of these perfect perennials.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Gardening, Perennial flowers. Tags: , , , , , , , .

Flaxseed Cookies Growing salad greens

5 Comments Add your own

• 1. islandgardener  |  June 7, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I agree — I LOVE columbines! The one in your photo is amazng!

• 2. RainGardener  |  June 7, 2009 at 5:15 pm

I agree – love them and there are so many and easy to grow.

• 3. Alice Joyce  |  June 8, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Found you on Blotanical and now Twitter. Ah, cyberspace! What was life like before…… Alice

• 4. Meredith  |  June 13, 2009 at 8:15 am

What a beautiful columbine — our Texas native ones look so different!

• 5. Seed harvesting begins « Nest and Sparkle  |  September 1, 2009 at 5:04 pm

[…] Columbine: this has become one of my favorite flowers, so I’ve gotten in the habit of gathering up the seeds and sprinkling them in other spots in […]