Flaxseed Cookies

June 7, 2009 at 10:04 am 5 comments

flax cookies

I was recently given a newspaper clipping of a recipe for flax seed cookies. A few weeks later, a friend of mine gave me a 1 kilo bag of organic flax seed as a gift for watering the new vegetable and herb garden she’d planted on the balcony of her downtown condo – she had been visiting a friend’s family farm in Saskatchewan and flax was one of the things they grew. According to my newspaper clipping, this recipe was developed by the Saskatchewan Flax Development Commission for the new Canadian Living baking book. It’s delicious!

I changed the original recipe a bit – the version below has less sugar (you don’t miss it at all – these cookies are still quite sweet) and I added dried fruit. I enjoyed a couple of these cookies along with a bowl of fresh cherries for a quick and simple breakfast this morning.

The picture above shows my freshly baked flax seed cookies stored in a vintage tin that was my grandmother’s. It came to me as a gift, part of a big, beautiful care package full of home and kitchen treasures when we moved into our first house, a small condo in Victoria, several years ago. In the background is an African violet (a $3 bargain from our local garden centre) potted in an old Silk Road Tea tin.

Flax Seed Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 free range, organic egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour (wheat flour or your favourite gluten free mix)
3/4 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup flax seeds
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of raisins or dried cranberries

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and stir into butter mixture. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350F for about 12 minutes. Don’t overcook – these cookies are already a bit crunchy / crumbly – in a good way! – because of all the flax seeds.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Cooking, Gluten Free, Home, Life. Tags: , , , , , .

Spinach and strawberry salad Columbines

5 Comments Add your own

• 1. nestandsparkle  |  June 7, 2009 at 10:13 am

Of course, you can create a gluten-free version of these cookies using rice flour or your favourite GF flour mix. Be sure to source rolled oats that are gluten-free.

• 2. beth  |  June 12, 2009 at 2:01 am

Pictures looks like really yummy.The violet flowers in the pot near the yum cookies looks beautiful.I look forward 2 make this flex seed cookies.

• 3. Susanna  |  March 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm

This is just what I was looking for..I used coconut oil instead of butter and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon.. the results were delicious..Thank you..I am so glad I found your recipe..

• 4. 123am  |  March 20, 2013 at 2:11 pm

An oatmeal raisin cookie with a bit of nutrition. These were very tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• 5. My day in pieces | Me At 33  |  March 22, 2013 at 6:10 am

[…] for him, but we were able to sit and chat.  It was nice.  (My bake sale donations are some yummy flaxseed oatmeal raisin cookies and flaxseed meal brownies.  The brownies are good, but I’m picky about brownies so I will […]