Vegetable lasagna

February 13, 2010 at 1:23 pm 6 comments

I’m not sure if the world needs any more veggie lasagna recipes, but it’s such a staple in our kitchen that I’ll post it anyways. This is the dish I make when we’re craving easy comfort food or planning a meal for a crowd. I’m always relieved to have a solution that pleases our vegetarian, gluten-free sensibilities and also generates rave reviews from meat-atarians. For a vegan version, tofu substitutes well for the cottage cheese and a generous helping of garlic breadcrumbs on top is just as good as cheese.

6 cups prepared tomato sauce*
12-15 oven ready lasagna noodles (we use gluten free brown rice noodles)
2 cups of cottage cheese or ricotta
3 cups fresh spinach
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
handful of fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs

Heat the tomato sauce until hot in medium saucepan. Ladel about 1/3 of the sauce into a 9 x 13″ pan. Place one layer of lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Combine the cottage cheese and spinach and spoon over top of the first layer of noodles. Add another layer of noodles on top of the spinach mixture then add another 1/3 portion of sauce over top of the noodles. Add another layer of noodles and the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the mozza and parmesan cheeses and top with herbs. Bake at 375F for approximately 45 minutes. Remove from oven, let stand for 10 minutes and serve with salad.

*Make a big batch of homemade tomato sauce when fresh tomatoes are in season and store it in the freezer for year-round eating.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Cooking, Gluten Free. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , .

To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf Broccoli soup

6 Comments Add your own

• 1. Ms. S  |  February 13, 2010 at 2:59 pm

The world does need another recipe! And this one looks perfectly and simply delicious – thank you for posting it 🙂

• 2. sheba  |  February 20, 2010 at 6:52 am

yummy…..looks real good…first time here..got here whn i searched for flax seed recipes..great blog.

• 3. Shadowy Steeds  |  March 1, 2010 at 7:22 am

Oh my! That lasagna has my mouth watering and tummy growling! Taking note of that one for sure. Thanks!

• 4. Gaby  |  March 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Dear Nestandsparkle, this vegetable lasagna looks fabulous! I felt like I had stepped into Gourmet Magazine. It was so well presented, clean, photos clear and professionally positioned. I shall return for another bite of this wonderful blog. Thank you for sharing.
    Cheers, Gaby
    You can always visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com.

• 5. Nuala Mattson  |  March 31, 2012 at 10:58 am

I have been fortunate enough to be served this dish at a family gathering – it is absolutely delicious – the best lasagna I have ever had, and I am not vegetarian!

• 6. The Best Lasagna Recipes | Lady From USA  |  April 8, 2014 at 3:40 pm