Flower season begins

March 7, 2010 at 2:15 pm 5 comments

After several years of gardening in Calgary’s frigid Zone 3 climate, we are planning a move to balmy Vancouver, which I believe is Zone 8 (!). This weekend has been filled with househunting but also cherry blossoms trees in full bloom, magnolias unfurling, proud clumps of daffodils and pretty purple crocuses.

Crocuses grow in our garden in Calgary, but as we walk around Vancouver it occurs to me that it will be a month before they emerge from the still-frozen ground. The way crocuses spring forth each year in each city is indicative of how different the two places are. Calgary’s long winters are one reason we’re keen to make the move. There is a lot of value in those extra couple of months of spring when crocuses and other floral delights bloom in February or March as opposed to April or May in Calgary.

One of the realities of our move is downsizing from a house with a “real” garden in Calgary to a condo or townhouse in Vancouver where gardening comes in the form of pots and planters on cement patios and hopefully some form of community garden. Certainly I will feel sad to leave the little patch of land I’ve so carefully cultivated over the past few years. On the other hand, there are only a few short months a year where the ground is not frozen up. In Calgary we start seeds indoors at the end of March and don’t hit that magical “last chance of frost” date until almost June. Summer is what you live for, and I think everyone tries to spend as much time as possible during those few short months digging, planting, harvesting and lounging in the garden.

But here, in Vancouver, it seems like you would never really be done gardening. I know it snows here a few times a year; I know it’s rainy and grey many, many days a year. But the ground never freezes. The idea of walking outside and never seeing a dead and frozen landscape is so encouraging. Much change ahead. I wonder what life will be like by the time next year’s crocuses nudge their way out of the ground.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Gardening, Home, Life, Perennial flowers, Travel. Tags: , , , , , , , , , , .

Cream cheese pasta Go Fish!

5 Comments Add your own

• 1. Ms. S  |  March 7, 2010 at 6:53 pm

How exciting! I think if I moved to more temperate zone I would want to gorge on all the plants I have ever longed for that were previously “out of zone”. It would take me a couple of years to calm down 🙂

Best wishes for your move!

• 2. Christine B.  |  March 8, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I am green with envy. And still hoofing it in zone 3 with no sign of moving, too bad for me;) Good luck with the house hunting.

Christine in Alaska

• 3. New beginnings « Nest and Sparkle  |  March 17, 2010 at 11:00 pm

[…] for spring we’re emptying dirt from pots instead of filling them and packing them up for our new adventures in beautiful Vancouver. This year I’m the one doing the growing. New city, new house, new garden, new job […]

• 4. Tatiana  |  March 20, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I’ll add my voice to the jealous gardeners too! I’m quite envious, Vancouver is beautiful and the climate so much better.

• 5. Blueberry coffee cake « Nest and Sparkle  |  April 4, 2010 at 2:39 pm

[…] big move has temporarily stalled most kitchen activities, but I did find some time last weekend for baking. […]